Wireless usb mouse

Markus Brueffer markus at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 2 18:48:16 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 18:51, Cesar Kuroiwa wrote:
> I recently got a microsoft wireless usb mouse/keyboard, but the mouse won't
> work under my freebsd 6-stable (the keyboard has no problem).
> Under linux everything works fine...
>
> I've looked everywhere on google but everything I got is that freebsd has
> some issues having two devices on the same usb port. Does this mean I'll
> never be able to use this mouse under freeBSD? Does anybody has a clue on
> how to make it work?

While the latter is certainly true, it's most probably not the root of your
problem. The problem with these mouse/keyboard combo devices is that
FreeBSD's HID (Human Interface Device Standard) implementation is very
limited and supports only the most basic devices. I'm currently working on
restructuring and fixing our HID code (which includes the mouse driver), but
as I'm short on time, progress is currently slow.

You might however, if you are running 6.x, try the following kernel module:
http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/stuff/ums.ko

Build a kernel without "device ums" and load the above mentioned kernel module
via kldload(8).

Please report back, if it works for you or not.

Markus

--
Markus Brueffer    | GPG-Key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~markus/markus.asc
markus at brueffer.de | FP: 3F9B EBE8 F290 E5CC 1447 8760 D48D 1072 78F8 A8D4