Problem with libusb on FreeBSD?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at cyberfingers.net
Mon Jul 9 17:54:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use GPSBabel on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE with a Garmin Edge 305
hooked to the USB port and it looks like usb_bulk_write does not work properly. This is what I get when I try to get
waypoints with GPSBabel:

gpsbabel -D9 -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F blah.gpx
GPSBabel Version: 1.3.3
Bad cmdsend r -5 sz 12
usb_bulk_write failed. 'error writing to bulk endpoint /dev/ugen1.2:
Input/output error'
gpsbabel in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense
Abort (core dumped)

I have looked through the GPSBabel code and it looks like it is failing at the very first call of usb_bulk_write() when the initialization packet is sent to the device.
Is this a known bug with libusb on FreeBSD 6.2?

Thanks!
Pierre-Luc Drouin