usb/109397: [panic] on boot from USB flash

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Feb 21 22:34:27 UTC 2007

In message: <200702212210.l1LMA4aO041484 at freefall.freebsd.org>
            Alexander Shiryaev <coumarin at gmail.com> writes:
: The following reply was made to PR usb/109397; it has been noted by GNATS.
:
: From: Alexander Shiryaev <coumarin at gmail.com>
: To: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
: Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
: Subject: Re: usb/109397: [panic] on boot from USB flash
: Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:09:22 +0300
:
:  M. Warner Losh wrote:
:  > Are you using boot0 (the FreeBSD boot manager)?  That might write it
:  > back.  Are you using packet mode?
:  >
:
:  No, I'm not using FreeBSD boot manager (don't use boot0cfg and sysinstall):
:
:  # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=32k count=1
:  # fdisk -B da0
:  # bsdlabel -B -r -w da0s1 auto
:  ...
:
:  I also try to use GRUB:
:
:  grub> root (hd1,0,a)
:  grub> kernel /boot/loader
:  grub> boot
:  ...
:
:  but get the same result.
:
:  > Also, are you sure that the usb flash is good before you try to boot
:  > it?  I'm guessing it is, but I have to ask...
:  >
:  > Warner
:  >
:
:  USB flash works well, problem only on boot FreeBSD from it.

Thanks for trying out so many different things.  I'll see if I can
make a bootable flash tonight and see if I can recreate this problem
on my HP Pavilion laptop...

Warner