Sending to ulpt0

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Feb 4 07:30:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-Feb-04 02:12:07 +0100, jessy at muenchen-mail.de wrote: My
>parents recently bought a Laserjet 1018 printer and I want(ed) to
>other PC and it prints. I switch it off and back on and it stops working. The
>manual for foo2zjs instructs to send the firmware with cat
>/usr/share...hp1018.lp >/dev/ulpt0 to the printer, which leads to a timeout
>(Device busy)

I'm not aware of that printer specifically so the following is just
general comments on the problem.

It is possible that downloading the firmware actually requires a handshake
sequence of some sort and your attempt to cat to the printer is failing
because nothing is reading the return data.

There is a lot of debugging infrastructure in the USB code.  In order to
enable this, you would need to rebuild your kernel with
	options USB_DEBUG
in the your config file.  Debug output is then controlled by a number
of sysctl's but controlling and interpreting the debug output needs
reference to the source code.

>2. detaching the driver from the usb-port, sending the firmware over a generic
>usb driver and re-attaching the ulpt driver

The only way to stop ulpt grabbing the printer is to remove it from the
kernel.  ulpt is compiled into GENERIC, making this difficult.  Assuming
you have ulpt as a kld, the process is:
- Unplug printer from computer (releasing ultp0)
- kldunload ulpt
- Re-connect printer (which will attach as ugen0)
- Play with printer via ugen
- Unplug printer from computer (releasing ugen0)
- kldload ulpt
- Re-connect printer (which will attach as ulpt0)

--
Peter Jeremy