usb/107642: [patch]Ralink Technology RT2501USB/RT2601USB chipset driver

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sun Apr 29 13:50:55 UTC 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 15:02, Valery V.Chikalov wrote:
> Kevin Lo wrote:
> > Valery V.Chikalov wrote:
> >> The following reply was made to PR usb/107642; it has been noted by
> >> GNATS.
> >>
> >> From: "Valery V.Chikalov" <valera at chikalov.dp.ua>
> >> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,  valera at chikalov.dp.ua
> >> Subject: Re: usb/107642: [patch]Ralink Technology RT2501USB/RT2601USB
> >> chipset driver
> >> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:32:18 +0300
> >>
> >>  This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> >>  --------------030900090303000507070905

> > Hi Valery,
> >
> > I guess you wasn't aware that I've already ported rum(4) to FreeBSD.
> > The patch is available at: http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/patch-rum
> > Maybe you can test my patch? Thanks.
> >
> > 	Kevin
>
> Hi, Kevin,
>
> Your driver not working for me. Fortunately, the errors that I see
> exactly the same which i fight when I made my driver.
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD tiger.novakom.dp.ua 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #6: Sun Apr
> 29 13:58:48 EEST 2007
> root at tiger.novakom.dp.ua:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TIGER64  amd64
>
> $ sysctl kern.osreldate
> kern.osreldate: 700037
>
> cvsup'ed 29.04.2007
>
> kernel with:
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
>
> options         KDB
>
> options         DDB
>

> options         INVARIANTS
>
> options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
>
> options         WITNESS
>
> At first, when I make kldload if_rum, I get kernel panic.
> But I cant get saved core, as ddb just hangs during "call doadump"

I have a solution for all of this locking stuff!

> So I add
>
> #define RUM_LOCK(sc)    do { ((sc) = (sc)); mtx_lock(&Giant); } while
> (0)
> #define RUM_UNLOCK(sc)  mtx_unlock(&Giant)
>
> in  if_rumvar.h
>
> I spend a lot of time in attempts get rid of Giant ant always got only
> panics.

You _cannot_ do that with the old USB stack, because you must lock Giant
before calling into the usbxxx functions. Then in the USB callback, Giant is
locked, and then you cannot lock RUM_LOCK()! That means you will most likely
end up with a deadlock pretty soon, if you see that.

> After that I get hangs,
> which i resolved by modifying rum_ioctl:

I'm almost finished converting "if_rum.c()" to the new USB stack.

In some hours I will update it with support for "if_rum".

If you can test that and forget about the old USB stack, I will be very
happy :-)

--HPS

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd