USB detection problems

Andrew Kilpatrick andrew at invisiblerival.com
Thu Nov 10 22:40:29 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm having some USB problems with an embedded system that I'm building.
The system uses a VIA Mini-ITX CLE266-based board running FreeBSD 5.4 It
has two USB devices:

- internal to serial interface - using uftdi/ucom
- external port for USB mass storage (flash keychain)

Problem #1:

- When the USB mass storage device is plugged in before the system is
powered on, the internal serial interface doesn't get detected, causing
the system to not work.

- If the mass storage device is plugged in after the system is booted,
it works fine and so does the serial interface.

Problem #2:

- When the system is booted with both devices installed, neither device
gets detected. I need the mass storage device to be detected during
startup because it is used for providing software updates to the system,
and this will hopefully happen in rc.local.

It seems like these two problems are related, but I'm not sure. All I
have in my /boot/loader.conf is:

uftdi_load="YES"

I've tried usb_load, umass_load, etc. with no change. I don't have any
entries for the mass storage device (which appears on da0) in my fstab
as I am using mtools to access the raw device.

Please help!

Andrew
--
Andrew Kilpatrick, Inventor