stack synchronization

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jan 9 19:11:43 PST 2005

In message: <41E1C8C5.4070605 at elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <6.1.2.0.2.20050109174427.0802c640 at pop3>
: >             Boris Dinkevich <dinkevich at gmail.com> writes:
: > : Hello everyone,
: > :
: > : When going over the usb-host stack, it appears that synchronization is done
: > : via splusb/x.
: > : But in the 5.3 release, these functions are implemented at stubs.
: > :
: > : How is the sync done then ?
: > :
: > : Also, with soft_interrupts, it appears there is no need for spls, am I
: > : correct ?
: >
: > Giant locking.
: >
: > I have patches to move the interrupt outside of giant, but the rest of
: > the stack is still under giant locking.
:
: it may be worth just adding a single "usb system" lock..

well duh!  However, there's a lot of things that can trivially be done
with giant.  Locking with a usb subsystem lock takes a lot more
effort...

Warner