usb/77604: Sluggish Logitch LX700 USB Mouse

Jonathan Fosburgh jonathan at fosburgh.org
Wed Feb 16 06:40:21 PST 2005

>Number:         77604
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       Sluggish Logitch LX700 USB Mouse
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD jef-nt.mdacc.tmc.edu 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #14: Wed Feb 16 07:37:05 CST 2005     syjef at jef-nt.mdacc.tmc.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/vmbsd  i386

This is a Logitch LX700 wireless keyboard/mouse combo.  When connected to USB, the keyboard works fine (though I can't use it in single-user mode), but I have trouble with the mouse.  Regardless of the setup I use (moused in console only, moused with X, or X accessing the mouse directly) I get the same sluggish response.  When I move the mouse it takes time for the pointer to catch up with me, and the motion on screen is not smooth, the pointer jumps from location to location; the faster I move the mouse the larger the gaps. Similarly, clicking buttons is sluggish, I often have to make a long click (on the order of a second or more) before the pointer responds.  Double clicking is all but impossible, and the wheel takes a fair amount of scrolling before anything happens on screen.

The mouse has 800dpi resolution, there was a post in the usb@ mailling list about an applet to support these higher resolution mice, but the code didn't make it to the list.  Is anyone familiar with this?

The mouse works fine in the PS/2 port, but it is detected as Generic PS/2 with no wheel.  I haven't had much luck (yet) trying to get that to work.
>How-To-Repeat:
Plug the LX700 combo into USB and try to use the mouse.