My USB controller driver

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Dec 31 05:50:24 PST 2005

On Saturday 31 December 2005 08:00, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Anish Mistry wrote:
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 04:35 pm, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I just want to remind you of my USB controller driver for FreeBSD.
> >>I have now created a new homepage for it:
> >>
> >>http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd
> >>
> >>The sources are currently part of my ISDN4BSD driver, and can be
> >>downloaded by running the following command, if one has got
> >>Subversion installed:
> >>
> >>svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn checkout
> >>svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
> >>
> >>This should make it very easy to make patches against my driver, if
> >>anyone has any suggestions for improvements. For those of you not
> >>familiar with svn, a patch can be produced by running the command
> >>"svn diff".
> >>
> >>It is also possible to browse the sources at the homepage without
> >>having to install SVN.
> >
> > Do you have any ETA or progress report on merging these changes into
> > the tree?
>
> Hans's code is sufficiently different that it realy should be considerred
> a different driver.
>
> Using it would be breaking our connection to NetBSD/OpenBSD/Dragonfly.
>
> That may not be a bad thing as we'd get a maintainer who cares, but it's
> not a decision to take lightly.

My idea for NetBSD/OpenBSD/Dragonfly is that one emulates FreeBSD on these
systems. If you look here:

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/sources/module/

You will see a FreeBSD kernel emulator for NetBSD 2/3. It supports the most
important things found in the FreeBSD kernel. I have some plans to extend it
so that it also covers the USB subsystem. It would work with many USB device
drivers, but not all.