Hacking usb/uaudio code (Was: Re: lexar usb media failure to attach)

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Fri Dec 10 12:54:10 PST 2004

[I'm going to throw this back onto the list, if you don't mind]

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:46:17 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

[I wrote]
> >Like, right now, the uaudio.c file in FreeBSD-4 is so behind the
> >state of NetBSD, that I'm not intending to do any MFNbsd's, but
> >instead, simply replace uaudio.c and see if I can get it to
> >compile, and if so, then see if it works.

Heh.  That was a non-starter, so instead, I am doing what I hoped
to avoid, merging in every delta from NetBSD one by one -- there
are simply too many changes, and the way that uaudio.c is put
together is that there's a Net/OpenBSD-specific part, and then
a FreeBSD-specific part.  Probably because of the difference
between the sound framework of them.

Many of the diffs apply to the NetBSD-specific part cleanly, but
don't apply to any FreeBSD code, so there is a goodly amount of
functionality that is being added but not for FreeBSD, yet.

I put this aside for a while, to work on something different, but
when I complete the merging, I hope to have something that contains
all the latest NetBSD code, which then needs to be manually hacked
into the FreeBSD-specific part.

That may be beyond my reach, but I hope that the merged code can
be used as a starting point by someone with the clue I lack.
Also, maybe some things will have been added by these merges to
FreeBSD as well that are presently missing in uaudio functionality.

Anyway, that's my work in progress, but no promises...

> basically I can commit any diff files you generate for 6,5,and 4 that
> yuo have tested in those environments..

I'm actually using 4.x exclusively for reasons I won't get into
in detail (GEOM broke compatibility with my disk layout, and I
haven't taken the time to properly build 5.x and 6.x as a real
work environment for this reason), though I can cross-compile and
maybe do minimal testing on 5.x and -current -- probably, unless
my present hardware has problems with recent OS source.

So if I do come up with something, I'll announce it here for any
interested parties to build and test.  As the uaudio.c code in 4.x
is essentially identical to that in -current, I hope that whatever
I do should be applicable to all.

thanks
barry bouwsma