Question about pipes and ugen

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Dec 1 16:01:01 PST 2004

M. Warner Losh wrote:

>Right now, when the usb stack opens a pipe, it resets the pipe using
>the ClearFeature(Stall) message.  This appears to work great for the
>vast majority of usb devices that use things like ugen.  However,
>there are some that do not like this at all.  Fidora Core 1 Linux, for
>example, never seems to send these reset messages.  Consequently,
>there are some devices that work well on Linux, but fail utterly on
>FreeBSD.

On the other hand linux's usblib sends a ClearFeature(halt) as well,
which we don't even have
in our version yet..

I'm slowly working on this..

>>From my reading of the standard, it appears that FreeBSD is doing
>standards conforming things.  Can anybody confirm this?  Even if it is
>standards conforming, is there a desire for FreeBSD to not do this?

I believe that this would have to be a "quirk" and enterred into the
"quirk" database so that
such devices don't try do that..  (The quirks database is something we
did in SCSI
and has been duplicated in USB ,where badly behaved devices are
identified and
special behaviour can be requested for them.)