u-boot for Seco SBC-A62 board

Milan Obuch freebsd-uboot at dino.sk
Mon Oct 8 20:05:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am trying to run FreeBSD on this board, some info see at
http://www.seco.com/prods/eu/sbc-a62-j.html and
http://wikitech.seco.com/index.php/SBC-A62-J pages.

I googled for u-boot for this board, found some discussion at
http://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/u-boot-v2016-1-for-seco-sbc-a62.3534
and reference to https://github.com/graugans/u-boot-seco - not much.

After some looking into it and tries I created port, actually copied
u-boot-orangepi2, which is itself my older attempt I forgot how it was
done, and changed Makefile to

<-------------------------------------------------------------------->

# $FreeBSD $

PORTNAME=	u-boot
PORTVERSION=	2013.01
CATEGORIES=	sysutils
PKGNAMESUFFIX?=	-secosbca62

MAINTAINER=	ian at FreeBSD.org
COMMENT=	Cross-build U-Boot loader for Seco SBC A62

LICENSE=	GPLv2

CROSS_GCC=	arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.9.2

BUILD_DEPENDS=	${CROSS_GCC}:devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc492

USE_GITHUB=	yes
GH_ACCOUNT=	graugans
GH_PROJECT=	u-boot-seco
GH_TAGNAME=	654be7a

MODEL?=		SecoSBCA62
CONF_TARGET?=	secomx6sbca62_defconfig

NO_ARCH=	yes

USES=		gmake tar:bzip2
SSP_UNSAFE=	yes # cross-LD does not support -fstack-protector

U_BOOT_DIR=	share/u-boot/${PORTNAME}${PKGNAMESUFFIX}
PLIST_FILES=	${U_BOOT_DIR}/SPL \
		${U_BOOT_DIR}/u-boot.bin \
		${U_BOOT_DIR}/README

MAKE_ARGS+=	ARCH=arm \
		CC=${CROSS_GCC} \
		CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi- \
		HOSTCC=cc

do-configure:
	(cd ${WRKSRC}; ${GMAKE} ${MAKE_ARGS} ${CONF_TARGET})

do-install:
	${MKDIR} ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX}/${U_BOOT_DIR}
	${CP} ${WRKSRC}/SPL ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX}/${U_BOOT_DIR}
	${CP} ${WRKSRC}/u-boot.bin ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX}/${U_BOOT_DIR}
	${CP} ${.CURDIR}/pkg-descr ${STAGEDIR}/${PREFIX}/${U_BOOT_DIR}/README

.include <bsd.port.mk>

<-------------------------------------------------------------------->

I know it is not well written, but kind of miracle happened - it builds
and produces kind of result. Installation phase is not yet complete, but
it ends with three files in /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-secosbca62
directory. As I found for other i.MX6 board u-boot image should be
written leaving first 1 KB alone, I put SPL combined with u-boot.bin
onto uSD card with command

dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/da0 bs=1k oseek=1 conv=sync

Putting this uSD into board and starting throws following lines via
serial console on me:

U-Boot SPL 2016.01 (Oct 08 2018 - 20:09:08)
Trying to boot from MMC
bad magic
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

which is not what I want, but it means I need some kind of make image
operation to combine SPL, u-boot.bin and some envelope with checksum...
this error message comes from SPL, at least the text given is found in

strings SPL | grep SPL

command output.

So could someone help me to overcome this problem? I know I did not use
official, mainline u-boot sources, but secomx6sbca62_defconfig config
file is not present there as far as i could see, so most probably some
bits for this board are missing there as well, I expect SPL would
suffer from this.

Regards,
Milan