poudriere-devel build of sysutils/u-boot-pine64 | u-boot-pine64-2018.07_1 failed

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 05:57:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-Aug-1, at 9:09 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 07:02:08 -0700
> Mark Millard via freebsd-uboot <freebsd-uboot at freebsd.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2018-Aug-1, at 12:59 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .
>>
>> Definitely true that I do not yet know what matters for this context.
>> I'll continue to try to figure that out.
>
> Well it's a port and you are building via poudriere so just put the
> log file (the full log file) somewhere so we can have a look.
> Also arch, ports tree revision, blah, the usual suspects.

The build did not get far: the log file is only 747 lines long. I'll
probably submit a bugzilla for the issue at some point. I'll report
the number when I do.

I suggest looking at:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-August/113981.html

for a recent build failure type that I analyzed (devel/*-gcc failures). John Baldwin
reduced the history down to the final result for our exchanges and so it will will not
be a long read. The issue was tied to my use of WITHOUT_BINTUILS for the buildworld
that was installed and in use but devel/powerpc64-gcc (the master port for the
devel/*-gcc ports) not listing devel/binutils in BUILD_DEPENDS in addition to the
historical devel/${PKGNAMEPREFIX}binutils for the cross-build.

Other gcc-ish ports that cross-build things may have similar issues with expecting
but missing "builder-architecture" tools from binutils. I'm not claiming that is
the problem here but it is a fairly new type of problem to be aware of.

Just FYI for the pine64 u-boot port context:
(To be in the bugzilla submittal as well.)

# uname -apKU
FreeBSD FBSDUSSD 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT  r336693M  amd64 amd64 1200075 1200075

(The "M" is mostly for experiments targeting powerpc and powerpc64
via fairly modern toolchains. The poudriere-devel jail uses an
install-tree installed from the same buildworld.)

# svnlite info /usr/ports/ | grep "Re[plv]"
Relative URL: ^/head
Repository Root: svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports
Repository UUID: 35697150-7ecd-e111-bb59-0022644237b5
Revision: 476026
Last Changed Rev: 476026

===
Mark Millard