FW: QUIC – Will it Replace TCP/IP?

Scheffenegger, Richard Richard.Scheffenegger at netapp.com
Wed Apr 29 12:03:58 UTC 2020

FYI only.

Richard Scheffenegger

-----Original Message-----
From: Eggert, Lars <lars at netapp.com>
Sent: Mittwoch, 29. April 2020 13:01
Subject: Re: QUIC – Will it Replace TCP/IP?

Hi,

Microsoft just announced that they are open-sourcing their QUIC stack (under an MIT license).

MSQUIC is suitable for application and kernel-use (it will ship as part of the Windows kernel), so it might be usable in other kernel contexts (FreeBSD/ONTAP, Linux) as well. The amount of work needed is likely (much) less than porting another QUIC stack that is only meant for user-space use. Also, based on my testing, MSQUIC is amongst the faster and most interoperable stacks.

In short, if we wanted to do something with QUIC, MSQUIC would probably a good starting point.

Lars