reno cwnd growth while app limited...

Scheffenegger, Richard Richard.Scheffenegger at netapp.com
Wed Sep 11 12:26:02 UTC 2019

Thanks Randall for the quick response.

I was just re-reading RFC7661 (NewCWV)....

While I still like the idea of decaying cwnd over time, when a flow doesn't utilize it's cwnd, I think as a first step to constrain the growth of cwnd when it is >= 2* flightsize(instantaneous) may be a good thing already.

Basically, a simplistic version of the two paragraphs of section 4.4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7661#section-4.4

In NewCWV, additional timers, and smoothing (3 recent, per-rtt samples of flightsize) are being used... But I don't want to mess with tcpcb right now (again), before some superfluous variables, and excessively large counters got fixed to reduce its size.

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger
Consulting Solution Architect
NAS & Networking