TCP Fast Open

Jeremy Harris jgh at wizmail.org
Fri Dec 6 14:23:13 UTC 2019

On 05/12/2019 20:31, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 05/12/2019 20:17, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>>> - tried TFO but the server didn't take it up
>> I would expect on = 0.
>
> Excellent; that's the most-useful one to know.

Unfortunately, it seems not to be so; it appears
to be recording the sending of a TFO option
(of _either_ type; so a cookie-Request still
gets it set).  This means I can't use it to log
"TFO was actually doing something useful for
this connection".
The TCPOPT_FAST_OPEN bit in TCP_INFO says the same
(either pre-ESTABLISHED or post-).

Another problem, this time server-side.  I was hoping
to get the initial server output piggybacked on
the SYN,ACK, given the TFO design notes in
https://people.freebsd.org/~pkelsey/TFO_Design_Details.pdf

- but so far I'm not getting that.  Packet capture (on lo0):
           SYN     ->               (TFO=C)
0.000224           <- SYN,ACK       (TFO=C  same value)
0.000078   SYN,ACK ->
0.001421           <- server_data

The 224us response time for the SYN,ACK looks immediate, not
a delack time as I'd expect.
--
Cheers,
  Jeremy