dupliceated icmp echo request

Hannes Mehnert hannes at mehnert.org
Tue Sep 13 15:49:25 UTC 2016

hello,

(sorry in case this is the wrong mailing list)

while doing some network testing, I discovered that my FreeBSD (r304285,
but likely earlier + released ones as well) sends out two
(bytewise-)identical ICMP echo requests shortly after each other when I
ping the broadcast (IPv4) address on an interface [tested with: tap,em,iwm].

This behaviour does not meet my expectations - is there any specific
reason for this behaviour; it behaves well (sending out a single ICMP
echo request) if I ping a unicast host.

hannes