Reopening Weblate for translations

Danilo G. Baio dbaio at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 21 20:32:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 07:26:57PM +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Danilo G. Baio <dbaio at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > It took more time that we planned, but we would like to call everyone to
> > translate and help testing.
> >
> > With the migration to Hugo/AsciiDoctor [1] we will still be able to
> > translate the whole documentation (books and articles) as we used to do
> > and soon we will be able to translate the full website as well through
> > Weblate.
> >
> > On our Weblate [2] you will notice three projects:
> >   - Documentation (Books and Articles)
> >   - Website
> >   - FreeBSD Doc (Archived) - The old project
> >
> > For now let's focus on the Documentation project.
> >
> > Language teams that were using Weblate before the migration to
> > Hugo/Asciidoctor, please see our Wiki 'Translation based on Automatic
> > Suggestions' [3] for more details.
> >
> > For everyone else, please see the status page [4], there are still
> > pending issues and any help is very welcome, probably we will have more
> > things to fix, but right now we need to test the new workflow. =)
> >

> Hi Danilo,
>
> Great news. Just to clarify, this means that for some article that was
> already translated, using the old format (DocBook) but not committed, we
> need to translate it using AsciiDoc, right?
>
> Cheers

Good question Fernando.

In this case you need to pass for all sentences (looking the Automatic
Translation tab) and if it finds a 100/100 match in similarity, just
copy it and save.  If it doesn't match 100/100, you need to revise the
string and fix what changed from Docbook to Hugo/Asciidoctor.

But that's not just for documents that weren't committed, if you plan to
continue updating/translating the documents through Weblate you will
need to do that as well to keep Weblate in sync. In the pt_BR language
we will need to do that for all documents as well.

There is an Automatic Translation feature (add-on) [1] on Weblate to
automatize these things, but it didn't work for us because of
performance issues (we have too many translation components 500+).

I've seen some performance improvements on Weblate repository and we can
create a script to handle that as well... I think soon we will have some
improvements on this.

But right now we need to do that manually, the good news is that the
Translation Memory works very well, we won't need to translate anything
again, just revise, copy/save.

ps. Even translating automatically 100/100 (similarity) strings, we will
have to revise many others because of the migration.

1 - https://wiki.freebsd.org/DocTranslationOnWeblate#Status

Regards.
--
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)