Translations wiki page.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Mar 21 02:10:17 UTC 2016

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016, Federico Caminiti wrote:

> Since a few users have expressed an interest in translating things
> recently, I was wondering if someone could create a page on the wiki so
> that we can coordinate efforts. My idea was to have a list of all of the
> documents in the doc tree with three columns: "Document", "Status" and
> "Taken by". The first columns would show the name of the document to
> translate, the second the status (translated, needs updating, not
> translated, etc...) and the third the person who's currently working on it
> (if any).
>
> I think it would be useful because someone looking for a document to
> translate wouldn't overlap with existing efforts and It would be a reliable
> guide to the status of the documentation.

Such a table would need to updated manually.  Maybe we can use the
existing systems to generate that information automatically.

In http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/translation/ are the materials for the
"Improving the FreeBSD Translation Tools" presentation I gave at
AsiaBSDCon last week, and will be giving at BSDCan in June.

There is a docdates.sh script there which queries the doc repository for
translations.  We can already add MAINTAINER variables to the
translation Makefiles.  That script is 90% of the way to showing the
information on how recently a translation has been updated and who is
maintaining it.

Then we would not need to manually maintain a table with that
information.

As shell scripts go, I'd say it is less terrible than many, and probably
not too hard to modify.  But I don't know when I'd be able to work on it
myself, and help is welcome with that.