Spanish documentation translations

Federico Caminiti demian.fc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:22:08 UTC 2015

El 15/04/2015 a las 9:26, Juan Ramón Molina Menor escibió:
> On 14/04/2015 23:05, Warren Block wrote:
>> As far as I know, nobody has worked on the Spanish translation in
>> years. Our current translation system is not really a system.
>> Translators must watch for commits and look at diffs, and this really
>> adds a lot of work to an already-difficult job.  One of our ongoing
>> projects is to get rid of all that overhead and use the PO
>> translation system. This would make the job much easier for
>> translators.  This is one of the things we will be talking about at
>> the BSDCan developer summit in June.

I agree, the current process is very time consuming, considering I'm
sending a translation, not kernel code. I see how the transition to a PO
translation system would be beneficial.

In order tu submit translations under the new system I would still need
to find a spanish-speaking commiter. If I understand correctly it just
elminates the overhead of working with the documentation tree.

If there's something I can do to help this move forward, please let me
know.

>> In the meantime, I'm not sure what to suggest.  Finding a
>> Spanish-speaking documentation committer to check and commit your
>> patches would be a start.  Unfortunately, I don't know if any of the
>> doc committers speak Spanish.

I think I'll leave the ticket open for the time being, hope it gets the
attention of any  of active doc commiters that know spanish.

> I had committed myself to update this Spanish FAQ, but time is scarce
> and the lack of a proper translation system is quite discouraging...
> or a good enough excuse! ;-)
>
> I really hope your work in BSDCan will change the situation. In the
> meantime, I can confirm that the patch from Federico looks correct
> (thanks by the way!), but I’m not a committer. I’ve taken a look at
> /share/misc/commiters-doc.dot and indeed there aren’t any obvious
> Spanish-speaking names with an active commit bit.
>
> Best regards,
> Juan

Yes, I glanced over the list myself and came to the same conclusion.

Thank you for taking the time to responding to this.