Choosing a translation system

Juan Ramón Molina Menor listjm at club-internet.fr
Sun Dec 28 21:39:45 UTC 2014

El 14/12/2014 a las 16:41, Warren Block escribió:
> PO/gettext tools appear to be the default choice for translating open
> source project documentation.
>
> There are some disadvantages to it.  Two that have been mentioned to me
> recently are:
>
>    Different translators can translate the same string into different end
>    results.  (A list of standard terms could help with this.)

Providing one or more translation memories, terminology and some
consistency quality-assurance are common in professional
computer-assisted translation (CAT) applications (e.g. Wordfast, SDL
Trados). I don’t know about free ones.

>    Strings are shown alone, without context.  The meaning of a string
>    shown with surrounding text can be much easier to understand.  (A
>    sufficiently advanced translation editor might be able to show
>    context--are there any?)

This is also a must, and natural from the common translator point of
view, which receives individual documents and manages it with CAT tools.
Providing the same for such a complex and dynamic corpus of documents as
the FreeBSD documentation, to be proposed for translation to a
heterogeneous and volunteer translators community, and make it a success
looks to me as almost an utopia.