GPL requirements vs. "some of which are compiled with GCC" terms in special exceptions?

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 13 17:16:10 UTC 2018

This is a known problem with the GCC runtime libraries.  GCC 4.3 and later have a much better exemption (which talks about any eligible compilation process, rather than being compiled with GCC), but those are GPLv3 and so unacceptable for FreeBSD.

I don’t believe that we are using any of those files on platforms where clang is the default system compiler.  LLVM’s libUnwind should be able to handle PowerPC on Linux, so it’s worth checking if this is the case on FreeBSD.

David