[toolchain] svn commit: r474650 - in head/lang: . gcc8 [ not added to bsd.gcc.mk nor to the comment in bsd.default-versions.mk ]

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 21:57:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-Jul-15, at 12:14 PM, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018, Mark Millard via freebsd-toolchain wrote:
>> Looks like gcc8 was not added to, for example,
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk :
>
> I've done that earlier today:
>
>  r474663 | gerald | 2018-07-15 05:59:51 +0000 (So, 15 Jul 2018) | 6 lines
>
>  Add support for GCC 8 (and the newly added lang/gcc8 port).  USE_GCC=8+
>  is now feasible, for example.
>
>  PR:             229681
>  Submitted by:   mi

Yep:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-ports-head/2018-July/182111.html
vs.
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-ports-head/2018-July/182110.html

Yours was just about 2.5 minutes after mine:

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 15 05:59:52 UTC 2018
vs.
Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 05:57:22 UTC 2018

>> Nor was it added to the comment below in
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk :
>>
>> # Possible values: 4.9, 5, 6, 7
>> GCC_DEFAULT?=           6
>
> Given that this is still the first release of the GCC 8 series,
> I'm a bit hesitant to add it there.  Too many folks too eager
> running into problems and then not knowing how to go about it.
>
> I'd rather wait for GCC 8.2 which is due this summer.

Ahh. No problem.

> (Anyone who really wants to go for it can do this nevertheless,
> it's just nothing I'd like to encourage at this point.)
>
> Hope this makes sense?

Sure.

[I tend to do things to see how things are going for newer compiler
versions, including for targeting some powerpc* families. So I'm
biased to providing early warnings if I run into something new (and
I check the status of some long-standing issues). But it turns out
that for now I do not have access to such systems. I will at some
point but it is not clear when.]

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com