Duplicate OPT_ entries in gcc/options.h

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 8 22:16:41 UTC 2016

On 08 Jun 2016, at 23:54, Jung-uk Kim <jkim at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 06/ 8/16 05:15 PM, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> On 08 Jun 2016, at 21:11, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I got a user report, and could reproduce this, that building
>>> GCC (lang/gcc, but also current HEAD, so probably pretty much
>>> any version) with FreeBSD 11 and LANG = en_US.UTF-8 we get
>>> conflicting entires in $BUILDDIR/gcc/options.h such as
>> Note that GNU awk does *not* produce a different optionlist file when
>> used with either LANG=C or LANG=en_US.UTF-8.
>> So I am assuming that the ARRAY[j-1] > ARRAY[j] comparison works
>> differently in our awk, depending on the LANG settings.  No idea when
>> that changed, though, if it changed at all...
>
> This behaviour is known for very long time:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/173731
>
> and it is not our fault:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_node/POSIX-String-Comparison.html

Indeed, so the real question is: why does this only started coming up
now, if it is known since 2007?  I have been building gcc ports for
ages, and never ran into this problem, but I also have never actively
used a persistent LANG environment variable, let alone with UTF-8 in it.

Is this because more people started using UTF-8 recently?

-Dimitry