clang -msoft-float for powerpc (ppc32) is very new; powerpc64 (ppc64) does not have it yet

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Jan 17 14:42:26 UTC 2016

When -msoft-float was added for ppc32 (powerpc) the error message for it not being supported for ppc64 was added.

Strahinja Petrovic added the support and the review materials had exchanges about ppc64, such as ( http://reviews.llvm.org/D13351 ):

> Remove this FIXME. It is not clear this will ever be supported (is there actually ppc64 hardware without an FP unit)?

> I'm planning to support soft float for ppc64. At this moment I don't know name of ppc64 hardware without FP unit. I know that gcc supports soft float for ppc64.

The review was closed 2015-Dec-15. The commit for powerpc (non-64) ( http://reviews.llvm.org/rL255515 ) was on 2015-Dec-14.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net