Removing default build of gcc

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:24:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:53:16AM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 03:36:15PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > I don't care much about gcc in current.
>
> clang, even on -9, can't build the following:
>
>  - most of kde
>  - graphics/GraphicsMagick
>  - editors/emacs21
>  - www/libxul19
>
> any one of which I would consider showstoppers for making a gcc-less
> system.

IMO this is not the approach we should take in regard to gcc and ports.
Ports should use port-provided compiler, and be untangled from the base
toolchain. I believe that forcing ports committers to port 20K+ packages
to clang is a waste of the FreeBSD resources and is is destined to fail
despite the efforts.