Removing default build of gcc

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:44:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 03:36:15PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 01/25/2013 14:59, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> >> The goal is to try not to ship GPL'd code in 10. The goal is not to ship 10 without GPL'd code if that results in a broken system. The goal also as articulated at different forum, was for Tier 1 systems.  Tier 2 and 3 systems may use GPL code as a fallback if the non-gpl'd code doesn't work on those platforms.
> >>
> >> That is to say, it is a goal, not an absolute requirement.
> > All you said is reasonable and quite coincides with what I thought.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it has very tangential relations to what is proposed to
> > do and to the political agenda declared in the message started the thread.
>
> I don't care much about gcc in current. It doesn't seem like the right time
> to kill it but it is a dead end and we should be using the pre pkg'ed
> version
> instead (I know, easier said than done, but the Debian guys did it).
>
> Either way, there is no hurry but it is a desirable goal.
>
> > I am really tired of the constant struggle against the consumation of
> > the FreeBSD as the test-bed for the pre-alpha quality software. E.g.,
> > are we fine with broken C++ runtime in 9 ?
>
> The libstdc++ issue is really REALLY worrying.
> I would prefer if the hack to attempt using libstdc++ as a filter
> library were reverted altogether in 9.x.
>
> I had a lots of stress with that issue as some people pointed at
> my libstdc++ updates as possible root cause. I felt some natural
> relief when the real cause was found but I certainly wonder why
> the change was made in 9.x though since it's clear that codebase
> will not be migrated to libc++.

You were finger-pointed due to the rule 'blame the last committer
from the VCS log'. Even less so, you were asked about it because
you probably knew most about possible cause.

I am not worried about the bug itself, which needs a proper
identification and fixing. I am indeed wery disappointed regarding the
attitude of the person who introduced the bug. Reverting the split may
be the best action in my opinion. Both in head and stable.