Removing default build of gcc

David Chisnall theraven at theravensnest.org
Fri Jan 25 13:21:27 UTC 2013

On 25 Jan 2013, at 11:31, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> To clarify: there is no plans to not ship any GPLed code for 10.x.

This is something that has been said on mailing lists, at BSDCan and at DevSummits in the past, without any objections being raised.  If this is no longer a goal, then that is very sad, because we have currently a window in which a lot of potential downstream users are looking for a GPL-free stack and are put off FreeBSD and towards proprietary solutions because we still require GPL'd code for a working base system.  If we put off this goal for another two years, we are likely to lose a lot of potential corporate contributors, who will invest in in-house and proprietary systems instead.

> Instead, there are still plans to ship working 10.x.

I don't believe that these are contradictory goals and would certainly not ever prefer a non-working system to a working one.

Indeed, in many cases the alternative is a non-working system.  For example, the debugger that we ship doesn't understand DWARF4 generated by any modern compiler (including gcc or clang).

David