standards/175453: Catching C++ std::bad_cast doesn't work in FreeBSD 9.1

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 16:12:04 UTC 2013

On 21 Jan 2013, at 04:49, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> Yes, quite possible. AFAIR, the 'catch' code compares the exception classes
> by the shared object ownership. It might get confused due to filter providing
> some symbols.
>
> But I did not investigated the cause for real.

The issue appears to be that the libstdc++ exports a few functions[1] that libsupc++ exports, but with different symbol versions.  Unfortunately, these are things that set handlers that are then called from libsupc++ / libcxxrt when, for example, an exception specification violation is encountered.

I'm not sure what the solution is here.  Is there some version-script-foo that we can do to say 'filter this symbol with this version as if it were this one with this version'?  We ideally want to keep them with the current version in libcxxrt / libsupc++, but not introduce linker errors.

David

[1] std::set_new_handler(), std::set_terminate(), std::set_unexpected()