BSD archive file formats

David Chisnall theraven at theravensnest.org
Fri Aug 3 11:43:35 UTC 2012

Hi Pete.

The end of the man page says:

>      This manual page documents the ar(1) archive formats used by the 4.4BSD
>      and UNIX SVR4 operating system releases.

I think it's probably safe to assume that the 4.4BSD format was dropped at some indeterminate point in the past, probably when we moved from a.out to ELF format binaries.  If the tools currently shipped in the base system are not producing them, then support is probably not important - people can always install GNU binutils from ports if it is for some legacy software.

David