DTrace and clang -- ERROR: ctfmerge: kernel.debug: Cannot get sect .note.GNU-stack data

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:10:00 UTC 2010

I recently attempted to enable DTrace on a system running HEAD built
with clang, and saw this error scrolling by when the kernel and
modules were being built:

ERROR: ctfmerge: kernel.debug: Cannot get sect .note.GNU-stack data

Each module being built also displayed a similar message as to the above.

ERROR: ctfmerge: module_name: Cannot get sect .note.GNU-stack data

I've followed instructions here for building with clang:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang

...and here for DTrace:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace

I've completed several rounds of building world and kernel from SVN
r216082 to r216095. Each time, it seems that kernel in world aren't
"in sync"

# netstat
netstat: no namelist

I can build the kernel using gcc, and DTrace (and netstat) output is
good. I haven't rebuilt world yet with gcc, as it takes a while, but
I'll certainly be doing that at some point I'm sure :)

Any debugging hints appreciated...

-Brandon