pthread_cond_timedwait() broken in 9-stable? [possible answer]

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 17 16:39:31 UTC 2012

On Thursday 16 February 2012 08:55 pm, Julian Elischer wrote:
> kern.timecounter.tick: 1
> kern.timecounter.choice: TSC-low(1000) i8254(0) HPET(950)
> ACPI-fast(900) dummy(-1000000)
> kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast
> kern.timecounter.stepwarnings: 0
>
> switching the machine from TSC_low to ACPI-fast  fixes the problem.
>
> in 8.x it used to default to ACPI
> but I used to switch it to "TSC" to get better performance.
>
> I wonder why TSC-low is now bad to use..
> maybe the TSCs are not as well sychronised as they were in 8.x?

Can you please show us verbose dmesg output?

FYI, TSC and TSC-low are not very different.  TSC-low is just lower
resolution version of TSC for SMP.  Only difference is, we have
automated your timecounter choice, i.e., if TSCs seem reasonably
well-synchronized, select it by default but give lower resolution.
In other words, if your TSC timecounter was never going backwards
previously, TSC-low timecounter won't, guaranteed.  So, the root
cause should be somewhere else.

Jung-uk Kim