threads/167308: Perf regression in thread locking on 8-stable

Rick Reed rr at whatsapp.com
Thu Apr 26 01:30:10 UTC 2012

>Number:         167308
>Category:       threads
>Synopsis:       Perf regression in thread locking on 8-stable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Rev 234373 causes a significant performance regression for our Erlang-based application.  I don't know what the direct results of the change are, but it manifests as abnormal amounts of contention for a particular global lock among the scheduler threads (one per CPU) in the Erlang VM under significant load.  Backing this change out results in normal contention and performance.

I see there's new code using WAKE2 in HEAD & 9, but I'm not sure how you balance the correctness issue in the stated case of unlock() then destroy() versus the significant impact to performance for apps which don't do that.