threads/162221: 9.0-RC1 new problem building spidermonkey

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 1 09:40:11 UTC 2011

>Number:         162221
>Category:       threads
>Synopsis:       9.0-RC1 new problem building spidermonkey
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After upgrading from 8.2-RELEASEp3 to 9.0-RC1 using freebsd-update, it is no longer possible to manually build the spidermonkey JS engine with the included gcc.

The error is:
jsnativestack.o: In function `js::GetNativeStackBaseImpl()':
jsnativestack.cpp:(.text+0x35): undefined reference to `pthread_attr_get_np'
/usr/bin/ld: libmozjs185.so: hidden symbol `pthread_attr_get_np' isn't defined
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output

>How-To-Repeat:
- Install devel/gmake and devel/nspr4 on a 9.0-RC1 system.
- Download http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
- Change to the js-1.8.5/js/src directory
- Run configure with no arguments
- Run gmake

>Fix:
Completely unknown.  I worked around it by setting # pragma GCC visibility push(default) before the pthread.h include and popping it after the pthread_np.h include.

It doesn't appear that this is a correct fix though and the www/firefox etc ports don't seem to have ran into it.