[Patch] C1X threading support

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Tue Dec 20 19:17:37 UTC 2011

On 20 Dec 2011 at 11:56, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > We could look at adding an _np extension.  However, I expect that in practice
> > nothing is going to use this API for a long while (if ever).  On POSIX systems
> > pthreads is going to be more portable and there is a lot of code already
> > written to pthreads.
>
> And that is exactly the point that Butenhof makes in this comment
> about the ISO C standard 3 years ago:
>
>    https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?CALLER=show_archive.tpl&source=L&listname=austin-group-l&id=11671
>
> His comments are a good read, and are still being echoed
> in this thread.
>
> I wonder how much the final standard changed from the working
> standard to which his comments pertain...

I can tell you there was a flurry of activity about six months ago
fixing things like using struct timespec which I was very glad about.

And certainly the deviances from POSIX in the final spec are minimal
compared to what they were.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q. Company no: