Portable Conditional Wait for Inter-Process?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Sun Mar 21 16:18:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am looking for a portable solution to put a process into a timed wait
(a la pthread_cond_timedwait) such that it can be waken up by another
process using something similar to pthread_cond_broadcast (there might
be many waiters). I guess shared pthread condition variables are not
supported by FreeBSD, right? Is there a portable way to do this? The
only solution I can think of right now is to use  alarm and sigwait on
the waiters side and kill(wpid,SIGCONT) on the other side with a list of
pids.

Thanks!