AMD64 version of GNAT Ada compiler broken due to libthr

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Fri Dec 31 21:27:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, John Marino wrote:

> Ah, interesting.  I didn't realize the ramifications of AMD64-only
> application of mprotect().  It's easy enough to apply the same macro to both
> architectures.
>
> As far as pushing it upstream, I've got literally a few dozen patches, and
> the majority of them should be contributed back.  I haven't gone through the
> absurdly difficult and time-consuming process of assigning copyright over to
> the FSF, partly because I reside in France with a Dutch employer and nobody I
> work for would sign the legal documents FSF requests (if I even wanted to
> share with my employers what I do in my own time.)
>
> I may go through the process some day if we can leave my employers out of it,
> but it's not a priority at this moment.  I'm not philosophically opposed to
> giving back, although I am dismayed at the number of offered patches that are
> never reviewed by the gcc developers and die on the vine.  If I could find a
> way to "fast-track" these patches in where I wouldn't be wasting my time, I'd
> do it.  It's a pain to maintain a parallel fork and I'd love to reduce the
> number of differences between the code bases.
>
> Obviously if you have any ideas that get my FreeBSD work into the gcc
> efficiently, I'm all ears.

I've got FSF paperwork on file, specifically to submit my original
FreeBSD and VxWorks GNAT ports to AdaCore (which they then upstreamed
to GCC).  It's been a few years since I submitted the paperwork,
however, and I'm not sure if they require resubmittal at periodic
intervals.  It may be possible for you to explain your changes to
me, without me looking at your original code or changes.

--
DE