ThreadsPerChild in Apache2 vs THR in top using Event MPM

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Jan 7 18:04:45 PST 2009

craig at animalhead.com wrote:
> This is more of an Apache question than a FreeBSD question, but I've
> received no response from enquiries to the users at httpd list.  Perhaps
> someone receiving from this list will be able to help?
>
> Our server is running Apache 2.2.11 with the Event MPM under FreeBSD
> 6.3, on a site that's largely mod_perl2 driven.

It depends on which threading library you are using
if you see (in top -H) threads waiting in kserel
tehn you are using the M:N library, where not every thread in the
process makes a kernel thread until it's needed.
if you link with libthr instead (see man libmap)
you may see different results. (and performance)
libthr is the default in 7.x.