Segfault when mapping libpthread -> libthr

Joe Peterson lavajoe at gentoo.org
Thu Sep 13 17:12:55 PDT 2007

I am a developer on the Gentoo/FreeBSD project.  For those who don't
know, this is basically porting the gentoo tools, package installer,
init stuff, etc. to FreeBSD (kernel and userland).  I have been
investigating a rather challenging crash in libthr with 6.2.  We have
libpthread and libc_r mapped to libthr (as I understand this is the
default for 7.0).  I doubt, however, that this issue is gentoo-related,
since the system is essentially FreeBSD, but I cannot be 100% sure, of
course.

In particular, ImageMagick's "mogrify" utility is segfaulting.  I have
traced this down to the fact that _cur_thread() returns a different
address after many mutex locks in pthread (using the libthr library).
This causes the mutex linked list in the thread to have zero pointers
for first/last, and the crash results.  I have verified with a
ImageMagick developer that mogrfiy is using only one thread, so this
should never happen.

Another clue is that the curthread address seems to change sometime
shortly before __error (in libthr/sys/thr_error.c) gets called.

I now am not sure how to debug this further.  The address returned by
_get_curthread() is close, but slightly higher (by typically 0x100) than
the original thread's address.

I can reproduce the problem faithfully on two of my systems, so if any
of this rings a bell, or if you have any suggestions for things to try
on my end, I'd be extremely appreciative!

						-Joe