threads/101323: fork(2) in threaded programs broken.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Aug 3 20:08:25 UTC 2006

In message <Pine.GSO.4.64.0608031558540.13543 at sea.ntplx.net>, Daniel Eischen wr
ites:

>There's no easy way to hold all library locks.  They are
>littered in libc and libpthread and the application doesn't
>have access to them.  You would have to teach libc to
>record these locks and export a function to lib<thread>
>to lock and unlock these them.

I would be perfectly happy if libpthread would just at the very
least release the locks it specifically grabs for the fork.

There's a big difference between giving it a sensible shot and
downright sabotaging it the way we do currently.

Anyway, apart from the view from the theoretical high ground and
the fact that POSIX doesn't actually say anything helpful here, are
there any objections to the fix I proposed ?