kern/86029: undefined reference to `_thread_dump_info'

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 07:40:04 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR kern/86029; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad at mac.com>
To: David Xu <davidxu at freebsd.org>
Cc: "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen at vigrid.com>, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/86029: undefined reference to `_thread_dump_info'
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:33:08 -0400

 David,

 This function was being used by a chunk of low level threading code in
 the BRL-CAD that has been in use since '98 for dumping out extra state
 information when thread creation fails.  We don't "want" to use it, it
 just has been used for so long in the code for the very same reason
 that it's used by the posix threading library -- it's very useful for
 debugging and investigating failures.

 For what it's worth, this routine was in fact documented in the OpenBSD
 notes for c_r as being useful for exactly that purpose.  Again, this is
 nothing new, either -- doesn't make it right, but what are the
 alternatives?  The only difference seems to be the change on this AMD64
 box to not utilize -lc_r when -pthread is provided on the compile line.

 I've got no issue removing the call from our code, but it seems
 indicative of a larger change to what -pthread means.  If -pthread no
 longer implies linking against c_r for whatever reason, that would be
 the fundamental difference here that we'll need to accommodate in our
 build.  In that regard, what non-private routine will provide similar
 details when thread creation fails?

 Sean