threads/76690: fork hang in child for (-lc_r & -lthr)

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 24 06:49:33 PDT 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Marc Olzheim wrote:

> I'm not interested in politics, I just want this fixed. Well it is fixed
> in my local source tree, but since FreeBSD 4.x is still the only FreeBSD
> version stable enough for me (see showstoppers.html), I'm still bound to
> libc_r and whether you want to deprecate it in -CURRENT or not is none
> of my concern.
>
> Well, in fact I'm for it, since KSE is a very suitable replacement
> indeed. Still, *repeating* that same "deprecated!" response over and
> over does not help anyone on FreeBSD 4.x.
>
> <rant>
> So: I have a fix for the bug in 4.x. If you don't want it fixed, close
> the PR and don't do anything about it, otherwise, let someone who cares
> about it answer my mail, as I asked for in the first place:

I'm not interested in maintaining libc_r, but I looked at the fix.
It exports symbols into the application namespace (those without
leading underscores).  It also looks to me like an application
bug since you can only use async signal safe functions in the
child after a fork() from a threaded application and before an
exec() of some sort.

--
DE