threads/76690: fork hang in child for (-lc_r & -lthr)

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Tue May 3 15:49:57 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 04:27:24PM +0800, David Xu wrote:
> You have to fix it in uthread_fork.c,  lock __malloc_lock over
> __sys_fork() call.
> but why libc_r ? it is depreciated.

Hmmm.

As long as FreeBSD 5.x fails to be stable / as stable as I need it to
be, my company will keep running FreeBSD 4.x and thus will be using
libc_r for a while. Perhaps some OpenBSD imports might help.

I think that there might be more people around who can't run their
software on FreeBSD 5.4 yet, but do need some sort of stable system with
thread support.

Or perhaps we're the only ones actually using the 'obscure' functionalities
of the thread libraries and the kernel (sendfile(),writev() over NFS,threads
with floating point code, socketpair(), etc.) and the only one who have
worked around missing features (preadv(),pwritev(), threaded blocking
I/O, slow malloc(), broken thread backtraces, etc.) but as long as
those 'new' features work on FreeBSD 4 and don't work on FreeBSD 5, I
have no choice but to keep using FreeBSD 4 and thus libc_r. :-(

In any case, I'll look into libc_r's bugs some more, at least those that
bother my employer. :-)

Marc