no kernel threads => no true multi tasking?

Samy Al Bahra samy at kerneled.org
Thu Jun 9 02:11:08 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:59 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I don't know enough to reply this this post:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.bacula.devel/2879
>
> The part I'm concerned about:
>
> "As far as I know, this only happens on FreeBSD 4.11 systems where
> there are no kernel threads and hence no true multi-tasking. More
> precisely, there is no task scheduling (time-sharing) between the
> threads."

4.X used a user-space scheduling system (longjmp-based). So, basically,
threads operate with-in the time-slice of the process (every thread
would gratuitiously pass control over to another thread).

The Linux threads FAQ covers this, it is available here:
http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Threads-FAQ/Types.html

--
Samy Al Bahra