libpthread vs libthread, simply mysql benchmark (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 21 02:34:26 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, David Xu wrote:

> There are lots of differences, I don't think they are the same thing.
> Although it was derived from libpthread, now it is a new library, I
> rewrote most part of code.

I'm thinking he best place to import it is as a replacement for libthr,
since that's the closest architecturally (libthr was also 1:1,
synchronization based on umtx, etc).  However, we should ping jeff and mtm
to make sure they don't object.

Another reason not to drop it over libpthread is that it keeps libpthread
around for direct comparison (performance, etc), and also means that the
production thread library from 5.x is still in 6.x, so gives a better path
for testing and merging of fixes.

Robert N M Watson