thread accounting in libpthread

Kazuaki Oda kaakun at highway.ne.jp
Sat Feb 19 05:18:31 PST 2005

Daniel Eischen wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Kazuaki Oda wrote:
>

>>And while looking at thr_kern.c, I've had one more question.
>>In kse_switchout_thread, after calling thr_accounting thread is placed
>>at the tail of run queue or at the head of it according to
>>thread->slice_usec.
>>But in kse_check_completed, thread is just placed at the tail of run queue.
>>Is there any reason why thread is not placed at the head of run queue in
>>case of thread->slice_usec != -1?
>>

>Because it already blocked and we don't want to needlessly
>switch out a currently running thread that hasn't used its
>quantum.

Blocked?  I think that completed threads are *not* blocked and they are
ready
to run except for suspended.  And, kse_check_completed could be called after
calling kse_wait.  In this case there is currently no running thread.

The reason why I am researching libpthread is that the attached program
shows
--------------------
thread 00: 55666
thread 01: 1161
thread 02: 1112
thread 03: 1112
thread 04: 55494
on xterm on my UP machine.  This is a unexpected result.  It seems to me
that
libpthread does unfair scheduling.  But on SMP machine that program shows
expected result and on console too...

Kazuaki Oda