Bug with pthread_getspecific() and signals

Archie Cobbs archie at dellroad.org
Mon Apr 18 11:15:55 PDT 2005

Daniel Eischen wrote:
>>If it does, can you show me in which FreeBSD releases the bug is fixed?
>
> I don't know if it ever got fixed in libc_r.

> It should work correctly in both libpthread and libthr.
> libc_r is not being maintained.

Thanks.. unfortunately I'm not familiar with the exact history of
FreeBSD's thread libraries.

Can you help me understand how to detect/workaround this problem in my
configure script?

E.g., I need to know:

- In what versions of FreeBSD will "-pthread" result in a non-broken
   (with respect to this bug) thread library?

- Of the earlier versions of FreeBSD, in which ones is there a viable
   workaround and what is it (e.g., "-lpthread" instead of "-pthread"?)

This bug makes my application basically useless so it's critical to
understand when and how I can work around it. I'd like to add logic
to the configure script to determine either (a) to give up, or (b)
what the appropriate linker flag is, given the version of FreeBSD.

Thanks,
-Archie