FreeBSD5.3-RC1 MySQL Performance

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Oct 22 12:57:40 PDT 2004

Petri Helenius wrote:

> Mike Makonnen wrote:

>>> Do you have any idea why process scope threads are faster than
>>> system scope threads? My gut feeling is that it should be exactly
>>> opposite.
>>>

>> I think you're reading it wrong: 'pthreads without process scope
>> threads'
>>                        ^^^^^^^
>> gets 15985 qps whereas 'with process scope threads' it only gets 6139
>> qps.
>>

> Yes. I meant to ask why system scope threads are faster than process
> scope threads. They should be the other way around.

It's one of these things where the two schemes are so different that
they have WAY different
performance characteristics for any given task.
Peter had a test where process scope threads ran 50(!) times faster
(than system scope)
yet in some tests it runs slower..

We need to tune a lot but we've been concentrating on
just making it work..