thread scheduling

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 16 12:38:44 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Petri Helenius wrote:

> I have an single CPU (2.0GHz P4 Celeron) machine which is practically
> empty running an application which dispatches detached threads to do
> various kinds of work. It seems that recently process scope threads seem
> to have fairly random scheduling latency up to various seconds while
> system scope threads work as expected. This behaviour seems to have
> introduced between 5.2.1 and 5.3 but cannot point exactly when. I have
> printf's next to pthread_create and at the top of the new thread routine
> and the delay is usually in order of multiple seconds. The application
> also uses itimers if that makes a difference.
>
> Haven't built a simplified application demonstrating the issue yet, but
> will do that if the problem is not known.

I don't know about the problem and haven't really been keeping track
of what's been merged to -stable.  I would suggest checking out the
-6 branch library and trying it on -stable (there should be nothing
that needs to change for it to run on -stable).  I also have some
patches at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/kse/libpthread.diffs