Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

mike mike at mike2k.com
Sun May 23 21:03:09 PDT 2004

> Note that default mysql table type is mysql, which uses Giant Lock when
> doing update on table, it does not support concurrent update, each thread
> wants to update the table will be serialized, fix me if I am wrong, but some
> years ago, mysql book tells me the fact, you might need to look other types,
> for example, BDB or innodb. 50% cpu usage on SMP machine is normal for
> MySQL server using mysql table type.
>
> David Xu

i just want to note - either way, running the same benchmarking utilities
on linux shows linux outperforming freebsd hands down.

this isn't a theoretical debate on why mysql performance might be slow. it
works fine on linux - our question is why we can't get that type of
performance out of freebsd.

to reiterate for the nth time - i'm pledging $250 to whomever will own
this/fix it. i believe two other parties will pledge another combined $250
as well.

that's $500 to do something that [overall] benefits freebsd users,
especially those wishing to run high performance mysql servers on freebsd.

we want it to at least match linux performance, if not be able to exceed
it.

right now we're just going in loops with requests for more benchmarks and
such. if it's worth $500, someone "in the know" step up and we'll give you
access to one of our boxes, you can do whatever you want to get it to
perform how we'd like. at least 2 or 3 of us have pretty similarly
configured machines, so if you can get it to work good on one, that should
be able to be applied to all, if it's not a permanent obvious fix in the
freebsd kernel, scheduler, threading, or just a patch to get more out of
mysql on freebsd 5.x.

- mike